Thursday, July 6, 2017

YSL La Nuit de l'Homme: fragrance review

"Sexy as hell" is what our Hellenic readers hail this cologne as. An enthusiastic endorsement from people who do actually enjoy a wide array of male colognes, La Nuit de l'homme has been YSL's best release in their masculine section for quite some time. Recents batches have become decidedly weaker, but the magic of the spicy woody notes persists.

via

Woody scents are typically manly, mainly due to a lack of distracting elements from their solid "watch me chop the wood, I'm a lumberjack" impression. But the cunning in La Nuit de l'Homme lies in interweaving a coolish tinge of spicy cardamom which interplays with the traditional barber-shop lavender to give a juxtaposition of cleanliness and mysterious exoticism. It's definitely one to wear when out flirting. There are very few women who don't like this one.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous08:25

    Hello, Elena! Your comment about later bottles being weaker intrigued me. It is "understandable" that perfumes that were launched before IFRA restrictions took effect are now released at a sadly much diluted strength, but I am convinced that manufacturers are diluting even very recent releases. In one case (I won't mention the name), I bought a perfume that came out in early 2015 and by the time I bought a second bottle it already had been significantly altered. The company kindly sent me a replacement bottle as I had asked them if I had a rogue bottle - but the replacement was just as weak! I have this feeling that first issues are in fact stronger and once they've captured you, they sneakily start reducing the volume of perfume ingredients ..... Am I deluded??

    Jillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not deluded Jillie and thanks for commenting and your excellent question.
      The thing is you probably misunderstand something: it's not a single reformulation due to IFRA regulations that happened. Perfumes as recent as 3 or 5 years old are constantly being reformulated, typically every 2 years as per Lutens' admission on the subject. So if you love something now, buy lots of it to last you because who knows what will happen in a couple of years. I know it's a bummer and some companies do a better job than others, but ...c'est la vie and we have to make peace with it I guess. :/ Αnd vote with our wallets of course!! ;)

      Delete

Type your comment in the box, choose the Profile option you prefer from the drop down menu, below text box (Anonymous is fine too!) and hit Publish.
And you're set!

This Month's Popular Posts on Perfume Shrine